FANTASY BASEBALL: Daily Pitcher Rankings (April 12th)
Went a perfect 6-0 in my Start’em picks on Tuesday. Jonathan Papelbon broke my 1 game save streak, Brian Wilson will look to get me back on track.
Don’t forget to check out the Daily Waiver Wire & Notes.
Feel free to ask questions at the bottom of every article, and if you want to talk Fantasy Sports 24/7 Join THE BEAST DOME NATION & FREE CHAT.
(All Records are for the week)
Sleeper of the Day: (2-1) 17.1 INN. 16 Ks. 6 ER. 1 Win.
*A QS or W= Win
*A Bad Start or Loss= Loss
Chris Capuano vs. Pit- Capuano is one of those pitchers that can get bombed in their previous start, then come back and throw a CG shutout. The Pirates do not offer much of a threat offensivley, the main concern is Capuano having his A game, and the Dodgers being able to score some runs off of Karstens.
Guess That Save of the Day: (1-2)
Longest Streak= 3W. Current Streak= 1L.
Brian Wilson @ Col
*Anything but a Win, is a loss for my record.
1. Ian Kennedy @ SD- The Paders made Joe Saunders of all pitchers look like an elite fantasy option. Ian Kennedy should be able to dominate in this start as he goes up against Anthony Bass. Exactly. 10 Ks and a Win is expected in this one.
2. Zack Greinke @ CHC- Greinke could easily win the CY Young this year in the NL, and a matchup against the poor hitting Cubs is exactly what he needs to boost his early season value. This should be an elite performance after Zack was able to shutdown the Red-Hot Cardinals in his 1st start of the year.
*A QS or W= Win
*A Bad Start or Loss= Loss
3. Dan Haren @ Min- The Twins were able to hit Jered Weaver, but do not look for them to make it 2/2 on huge flukes. Haren should be able to dominate this Twins team and should be a lock, but fact that Liriano at times can throw no-hit stuff and the Angels offense has not been up-to par. I will leave him as the top Start’em option.
4. Madison Bumgarner @ Col- Bumgarner is going up against Jamie Moyer which should be a very easy victory. Bum was not so hot in his 1st start against the D-Backs, but he should be able to bounce back and remind us all why we drafted him so high.
5. Derek Holland vs. Sea- Somehow, someway, Texas has forgot how to score runs. Each game in this series besides the Yu Darvish opener has been very close. Look for Holland to continue the trend of elite pitcher performances from Texas starters in this series, minus Darvish.
*A QS or ND = Win.
*A Loss or Bad Start = A loss.
6. Gio Gonzalez @ Cin- The matchup looks good on paper for Gio who can shutdown the left handed hitters of Bruce and Votto as he is a lefty himself. However pitching lousy against the Cubs in his 1st start is not something you want heading to your next road start. I expect Gio to get the W, but he may lose it for himself.
7. Mat Latos vs. Was- The Nationals do not have a talented offense at all right now. If Latos can make his pitches and keep this a pitchers duel between him and Gio, then he has a solid chance of getting the W. However that is easier said than done as Latos was awful against the Cardinals in his 1st start. He will look to even the score, but Gio will not relieve any pressure from the other side of the mound. I expect a QS at the least.
8. Matt Garza vs. Mil- Garza should be able to rack up the QS in this one. However facing Zack Greinke is no easy task, and a loss or a ND is more likely than a win. If Garza gives up one bad INN, that could be enough to seal his fate in this one.
9. Mark Buehrle @ Phi- Buehrle is a nice sleeper pick if you want a win. However he is owned in most leagues, so with that being said he is on the 50/50 chance of getting a win. It is in his hands if he can have a QS against a Philly team that is really struggling to put up any solid offense.
10. Jason Vargas @ Tex- If Kevin Millwood can get 7 Ks and 1 ER in 7 INN, then what can Jason Vargas do against this Rangers squad? Vargas has the potential to throw a gem in this one, or the Rangers offense will finally wake up. I do not expect a win, and a QS is all you can hope for.
11. Francisco Liriano vs. LAA- Liriano was terrible in his 1st start against Baltimore, and now faces an Angels team that is hungry for revenge after Jered Weaver was not able to beat them in game #2 of the series. I expect Liriano to bring a better arsenal into this, but he is facing Dan Haren so it could be tough.
12. Jeff Karstens @ LAD- Karstens comes into this game with a solid ERA at 1.50 after his nice start against Cliff Lee and the Phillies. The Dodgers offense is not much more threatning, and Karstens should be able to escape this one with a QS. A win could come along with it as well, but the K’s will not.
13. Drew Smyly vs. TB– This is far from an easy start for Drew to open up the season. He is replacing Fister in the rotation, and the hype is very high on this kid. If he can put together a QS and possibly get a win, keeper league owners better take notice.
*A Loss for the SP=a win for my record.
*A Win for the SP= a loss for my record.
*IF NO WIN/LOSS=QS is a Loss for my record. Bad Start is a Win for my record.
14. Jeff Neimann @ Det- Neimann against Detroit spells trouble. I would not want to witness this start if I owned him, and I would stick him on my bench with no hesitation.
15. Jamie Moyer vs. SF- If Moyer were to pull a huge upset to start the season, beating the Young Ace Madison Bumgarner would be a good way to start. I do not see it happening after he had trouble with the Astros.
16. Joe Blanton vs. Mia- Blaton is not a dependable pitcher, but if I were to guess any of these picks being wrong, it would be Blaton who could find his inner game to pitch a solid 6+ INN and get himself the victory. Miami is far from the hottest offensive team in baseball.
17. Anthony Bass vs. AZ- If Bass ends up getting the W over Kennedy, then I will put this as a headline story in the next Waiver Wire and notes.